Clothing CAD patternmakers design, adjust and modify patterns for all kinds of wearing apparel using CAD systems. They check laying variants using nesting modules of the CAD system and material consumption. Once the sample model has been approved for production, these professionals make series of patterns (grading) to produce a range of the same wearing apparel models in different sizes.
The following job titles also refer to clothing CAD patternmaker:
fabric CAD patternmaker
fabric CAD pattern maker
clothing CAD pattern maker
A high school diploma is generally required to work as a clothing CAD patternmaker. However, this requirement may differ in some countries.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Clothing CAD patternmaker is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Clothing CAD patternmaker career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to clothing CAD patternmaker.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of clothing CAD patternmaker. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of clothing CAD patternmaker with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of clothing CAD patternmaker.
- 3d body scanning technologies: The principles and usage of technologies for 3D body scanning used to capture the size and shape of the human body.
- Cad for garment manufacturing: Softwares of computer aided design for garment manufacturing which allow create 2 or 3 dimensional drawings.
- Standard sizing systems for clothing: Standard sizing systems for clothing developed by different countries. Differences among the systems and standards of different countries, the development of the systems according to the evolution of the shape of the human body and their usage in the clothing industry.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of clothing CAD patternmaker.
- Create patterns for garments: Create patterns for garments using pattern making softwares or by hand from sketches provided by fashion designers or product requirements. Create patterns for different sizes, styles, and components of the garments.
- Make technical drawings of fashion pieces: Make technical drawings of wearing apparel, leather goods and footwear including both technical and engineering drawings. Use them to communicate or to convey design ideas and manufacturing details to pattern makers, technologists, toolmakers, and equipment producers or to other machine operators for sampling and production.
- Draw sketches to develop textile articles using softwares: Draw sketches to develop textiles or wearing apparel using softwares. They create visualisations of the motives, patterns or products in order to be manufactured.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of clothing CAD patternmaker. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Properties of fabrics: The influence of chemical composition and molecular arrangement of yarn and fibre properties and fabric structure on the physical properties of textile fabrics; the different fibre types, their physical and chemical characteristics and different material characteristics; the materials used in different processes and the effect on materials as they are processed.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of clothing CAD patternmaker. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Manage briefs for clothing manufacturing: Manage briefs from clients for the manufacturing of wearing apparel. Collect customers’ demands and prepare them into specifications for the production.
- Analyse scanned data of the body: Analyse 3D scanned data for the development of prototypes, of avatars, for the creation of size charts, the garment pattern modification, alteration and manipulation, and for testing fit.
- Use 3D scanners for clothing: Use different 3D body scanners and softwares to capture the shape and size of the human body in order to produce 3D body model for the creation of avatars and mannequins.
ISCO group and title
7532 – Garment and related pattern-makers and cutters
- Clothing CAD patternmaker – ESCO