Mattress makers form mattresses by creating pads and coverings. They tuft mattresses by hand and cut, spread and attach the padding and cover material over the innerspring assemblies.
Excludes people producing inflatable rubber mattresses and rubber waterbed mattresses.
The following job titles also refer to mattress maker:
mattress-making machine operative
mattress-making machine operator
mattress maker, hand
mattress-making machine setter
mattress-making machine tender operator
mattress- making machine worker
mattress builder, hand
soft furnishing maker
A high school diploma is generally required to work as a mattress maker.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Mattress maker is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Mattress maker career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to mattress maker.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of mattress maker. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of mattress maker with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of mattress maker.
- Upholstery tools: Set of tools used for upholstering furniture, walls and floors such as staple gun, foam cutter, staple remover.
- Textile materials: Have a good understanding of the properties of different textile materials.
- Upholstery fillings: Materials used to fill soft furniture like upholstered chairs or mattresses must have several properties such as resilience, lightness, high-bulk properties. They can be fillings of animal origin such as feathers, of vegetal origin such as cotton wool or of synthetic fibers.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of mattress maker.
- Sew textile-based articles: Sew different products based on textiles and wearing apparel articles. Combine good hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and physical and mental stamina.
- Use manual sewing techniques: Use manual sewing and stitching techniques to manufacture or repair fabrics or textile-based articles.
- Install spring suspension: Nail down the springs to the wooden frame of a chair or other piece of furniture to be upholstered. In the case of mattresses, check the structure holding the springs for defects and fix the layers of protective fabrics to cover the spring suspension.
- Sew pieces of fabric: Operate basic or specialised sewing machines whether domestic or industrial ones, sewing pieces of fabric, vinyl or leather in order to manufacture or repair wearing apparels, making sure the threads are selected according to specifications.
- Fasten components: Fasten components together according to blueprints and technical plans in order to create subassemblies or finished products.
- Cut textiles: Cut textiles fitting to customers’ desires and needs.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of mattress maker. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Furniture trends: The latest trends and manufacturers in the furniture industry.
- Furniture industry: Companies and activities involved in the design, manufacture, distribution and sale of functional and decorative objects of household equipment.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of mattress maker. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Provide customized upholstery: Install custom upholstery, according to the customer’s individual requests and preferences.
- Handle delivery of furniture goods: Handle the delivery and assemble the furniture and other goods, according to customer’s needs and preferences.
- Operate furniture machinery: Operate machines and equipment used for making furniture parts and the assembling of furniture.
- Clean furniture: Remove dirt, marks and other unwanted material from furniture.
- Maintain furniture machinery: Maintain machinery and equipment in order to ensure that it is clean and in safe, working order. Perform routine maintenance on equipment and adjust when necessary, using hand and power tools.
- Pack goods: Pack different kinds of goods such as finished manufactured products or goods in use. Pack goods by hand in boxes, bags and other types of containers.
- Sell household goods: Sell household devices and goods such as microwaves, blenders and kitchen supplies in accordance to the client’s personal preferences and needs.
- Repair furniture machinery: Repair broken components or systems of machinery and equipment used for making furniture, using hand and power tools.
- Perform upholstery repair: Repair/restore damaged upholstery for a wide range of vehicles; use materials such as fabric, leather, plastic or vinyl.
- Sell furniture: Sell pieces of furniture in accordance to the client’s personal preferences and needs.
- Set up the controller of a machine: Set up and give commands to a machine by dispatching the appropriate data and input into the (computer) controller corresponding with the desired processed product.
- Create patterns for textile products: Create a two-dimensional model used to cut the material for textile products such as tents and bags, or for individual pieces needed for upholstery work.
ISCO group and title
7534 – Upholsterers and related workers
- Mattress maker – ESCO