Gas scheduling representatives track and control the flow of natural gas between pipelines and the distribution system, compliant with schedules and demands. They report on the natural gas flow, ensure the schedule is followed or make scheduling adaptations in case of problems to attempt to meet demands.
The following job titles also refer to gas scheduling representative:
short range planner
gas production planner
short range scheduler
gas demand forecaster
natural gas scheduling representative
gas production scheduling representative
A high school diploma or equivalent is generally the minimum required to work as a gas scheduling representative.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Gas scheduling representative is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Gas scheduling representative career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to gas scheduling representative.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of gas scheduling representative. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of gas scheduling representative with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of gas scheduling representative.
- Security requirements of goods transported via pipelines: Know the security requirements and safety measures necessary to avoid accidents during the transportation of goods via pipelines. Ensure measures for the transport of oil and petroleum products, olefin, ammonia, CO2, hydrogen, and others.
- Gas consumption: The factors which are involved in the calculation and estimation of gas consumption in a residence or facility, and methods which can reduce the consumption of gas, or make it more efficient.
- Fuel distribution systems: Know all aspects of fuel distribution systems and components such as pipeline systems, valves, pumps, filters, and fuel monitors.
- Fuel gas: The various qualities, hazards and applications of gaseous fuels, such as oxy-acetylene, oxy-gasoline, oxy-hydrogen and others.
- Pipeline transport regulations;: Know about pipeline transport regulations and their application in pipeline fields. Apply pipeline transport regulations in the construction of new sites.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of gas scheduling representative.
- Ensure regulatory compliance in pipeline infrastructures: Ensure that the regulations for pipeline operations are met. Ensure pipeline infrastructure compliance with legal mandates, and compliance with regulations governing the transportation of goods via the pipelines.
- Report on fuel distribution incidents: Compose forms on the findings of pumping system temperature and water level checks etc.; produce reports detailing any problems or incidents that occurred.
- Mitigate environmental impact of pipeline projects: Strive to mitigate the potential impact that pipelines and the goods transported in them can have on the environment. Invest time and resources into consideration of the environmental effects of the pipeline, the actions that could be taken to protect the environment, and the potential increase in the costs of the project.
- Perform follow-up on pipeline route services: Perform follow-up activities related to the plan, the distribution schedule, and the service yielded by the pipeline infrastructure. Ensure that pipeline route assignments are accomplished and meet customer agreements.
- Supervise gas distribution operations: Supervise the activities of a gas distribution facility and the operation of gas distribution systems, such as pipelines, in order to ensure compliance with legislation, efficient operations, and that the equipment is properly handled and maintained.
- Ensure compliance with gas distribution schedule: Monitor the operations of a gas distribution facility and gas distribution systems in order to ensure that the distribution goals and the gas supply demands are met.
- Adapt energy distribution schedules: Monitor the procedures involved in the distribution of energy in order to assess whether energy supply must be increased or decreased depending on changes in demand, and incorporate these changes into the distribution schedule. Ensure that the changes are complied with.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of gas scheduling representative. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Types of pipelines: Know various types of pipelines and their different usages. Differentiate between pipelines used to transport goods over short and long distances, and understand their respective feeding systems.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of gas scheduling representative. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation: Monitor activities and perform tasks ensuring compliance with standards involving environmental protection and sustainability, and amend activities in the case of changes in environmental legislation. Ensure that the processes are compliant with environment regulations and best practices.
- Read gas meter: Read gas measuring meter, recording the relevant information such as the amounts of gas dispensed and received.
- Ensure maintenance of fuel distribution facilities: Implement regular maintenance and safety programmes relating to all aspects of fuel distribution facility operations; demonstrate expertise in spill clean-up procedures, prevention and control measures, repair of fuel terminal systems, and implementation of preventive maintenance on these systems.
- Test pipeline infrastructure operations: Perform tests on pipelines, such checking whether there is continuous flow of materials through them, examining for leakages, and assessing the suitability of the location of the pipeline is.
- Ensure correct gas pressure: Ensure the necessary, usually constant, pressure of gas which is part of a machine or tool, such as torching equipment, used to process metal workpieces during metal fabrication processes.
- Identify energy needs: Identify the type and amount of energy supply necessary in a building or facility, in order to provide the most beneficial, sustainable, and cost-effective energy services for a consumer.
- Perform pipeline routing studies: Perform routing studies designed to collect information on and analyse the characteristics of the site, the challenges of construction, and other environmental factors that should be taken into consideration in planning project development.
- Analyse route possibilities in pipeline projects: Analyse sufficient route possibilities for developing pipeline projects. Ensure that crucial elements such as environment, the features of a location, purpose, and other elements are considered. Analyse the best route possibilities while attempting to maintain a balance between budget and quality.
- Ensure equipment maintenance: Ensure that the equipment required for operations is regularly checked for faults, that routine maintenance tasks are performed, and that repairs are scheduled and performed in the case of damage or flaws.
- Develop gas distribution schedule: Develop plans which outline the timelines and routes for the distribution of gas, taking into account both the current and potential future demands of gas energy and fuel, ensuring that the supply can meet demands, and distribution occurs in an efficient and safe manner.
- Monitor valves: Monitor and accordingly adjust the valves in order to allow a specific amount of liquids (such as ammonia sulfuric acid or viscous soap) or steam into the mixer or machine.
ISCO group and title
4323 – Transport clerks