Leather goods quality controllers perform activities of analysis of visual aspects of the leather goods regarding appearance, robustness, absence of wrinkles, straightness of seams and overall aspects such as cleanliness, colour uniformity, compared to the specifications. They also perform expedite tests.
Excludes people performing laboratory control tests.
Excludes people performing managerial activities.
The following job titles also refer to leather goods quality controller:
leather goods quality analyst
leather goods quality control officer
leather goods quality inspector
A high school diploma is generally required to work as a leather goods quality controller.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Leather goods quality controller is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Leather goods quality controller career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to leather goods quality controller.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of leather goods quality controller. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of leather goods quality controller with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of leather goods quality controller.
- Footwear finishing techniques: The related machinery, tools, chemicals and mechanical finishing procedures applied to footwear manufacturing.
- Leather goods manufacturing processes: The processes, technology and machinery involved in the leather goods manufacturing.
- Leather goods components: The various procedures and methods in the processing of leather materials and leather goods components like manufacturability and properties.
- Leather goods quality: The quality specifications of materials, processes, and final products, the most common defects in leather, quick tests procedures, laboratory tests procedures and standards, and the adequate equipment for quality checks.
- Leather goods materials: The wide range of materials used in leather goods production: leather, leather substitutes (synthetics or artificial materials), textile, etc; the way of distinguishing among various materials based on their properties, advantages and limitations.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of leather goods quality controller.
- Apply footwear and leather goods quality control techniques: Apply quality control in footwear and leather goods. Analyse the material, component or model using relevant quality criteria. Compare the material and other components received from the suppliers, or the final product, to standards. Use visual observation and report findings. Control the quantity of leather in the warehouse. Submit components to laboratory control test when necessary. Define the corrective measures when called for.
- Communicate commercial and technical issues in foreign languages: Speak one or more foreign languages in order to communicate commercial and technical issues with various suppliers and clients.
- Use communication techniques: Apply techniques of communication which allow interlocutors to better understand each other and communicate accurately in the transmission of messages.
- Manage footwear quality systems: Manage the company quality system. Create or elaborate the quality manual. Carry out the established requirements and objectives included in the quality policy. Foster internal and external communication, including customer satisfaction follow-up. Define and control the implementation of corrective and preventive measures. Foster the continuous improvement of the quality system and quality manual.
- Use IT tools: Application of computers, computer networks and other information technologies and equipment to storing, retrieving, transmitting and manipulating data, in the context of a business or enterprise.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of leather goods quality controller. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Determine leather goods warehouse layout: Select the suitable warehouse layouts according to the specific conditions of the leather goods company. Plan the warehouse layout. Implement the warehouse management system.
- Reduce environmental impact of footwear manufacturing: Assess the environmental impact of footwear manufacture and minimise environmental risks. Reduce environmentally harmful work practices in different stages of the footwear manufacturing.
- Perform laboratory tests on footwear or leather goods: Perform laboratory quality control tests on footwear, leather goods or its materials or components following national and international standards. Prepare samples and procedures. Analyse and interpret tests results and produced reports. Cooperate with outsourced laboratories.
ISCO group and title
7543 – Product graders and testers (excluding foods and beverages)