Liquor blenders regauge, filter, rectify, blend and verify proof of alcoholic drinks before these are prepared for bottling. For the purpose, they tend equipment and machinery to perform each one of these processes.
The following job titles also refer to liquor blender:
No formal educational credential is generally required to work as a liquor blender.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Liquor blender is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Liquor blender career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to liquor blender.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of liquor blender. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of liquor blender with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of liquor blender.
- Appropriate raw materials for specific spirits: Raw materials, such as grains, potatoes, sugars or fruit which can be fermented to produce a specific type of alcoholic spirits.
- Spirits development: Processes related to the manufacture of aged and unaged spirits. Under the category of unaged spirits fall vodka and gin. Under the category of aged products fall whisky, rum, and brandy.
- Temperature scales: Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales.
- Range of spirits: Spirits and their combination for developing the final product such as whisky, vodka, cognac.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of liquor blender.
- Collect samples for analysis: Collect samples of materials or products for laboratory analysis.
- Clean food and beverage machinery: Clean machinery used for food or beverage production processes. Prepare the appropriate solutions for cleaning. Prepare all parts and assure that they are clean enough to avoid deviation or errors in the production process.
- Apply haccp: Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Measure ph: Measuring pH which is a measure of acidity or alkalinity.
- Check bottles for packaging: Check bottles for packaging. Apply bottle testing procedures to verify if the bottle is fit for containing food and beverage products. Follow legal or company specifications for bottling.
- Prepare containers for beverage distillation: Prepare containers or drums for beverage distillation. Prepare equipment for the process of purification and removal of diluting components like water, for the purpose of increasing its proportion of alcohol content.
- Take measures against flammability: Take measures against fire. Liquor that contains 40% ABV will catch fire if heated to about 26 °C and if an ignition source is applied to it. The flash point of pure alcohol is 16.6 °C.
- Work according to recipe: Perform tasks in food preparation according to recipe or specification in order to preserve the quality of ingredients and to ensure replication accuracy of the recipe. Select the appropriate materials to follow the recipe, taking into account the current situation.
- Apply requirements concerning manufacturing of food and beverages: Apply and follow national, international, and internal requirements quoted in standards, regulations and other specifications related with manufacturing of food and beverages.
- Apply gmp: Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Create new recipes: Combine innovative and creative ideas to come up with new recipes and preparations to extend the product of range of a company. Make modifications to recipes in order to enhance taste, reach productivity goals, develop and improve products.
- Carry out checks of production plant equipment: Carry out checks of the machinery and equipment used in the production plant. Ensure that the machinery is working properly, set machines before usage, and assure continuous operability of the equipment.
- Mix spirit flavourings according to recipe: Mix flavourings and other ingredients such as fruit acids to produce brandies, cordials, and fortified beverages.
- Execute proofs of alcohol mixture: Measure temperature (using e.g. thermometer) and specific gravity (using e.g. alcohol-proof hydrometer) and compare readings with tables from standard gauging manuals to determine proof of mixture.
- Work in a food processing team: Collaborate in a team with other food processing professionals in service of the food and beverages industry.
- Blend beverages: Master blending beverages as to create new beverage products that are attractive to the market, interesting to companies, and innovative in the market.
- Examine production samples: Examine production samples visually or manually to verify properties such as clarity, cleanliness, consistency, humidity and texture.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of liquor blender. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Processes of foods and beverages manufacturing: Raw materials and production processes for getting finished food products. Importance of quality control and other techniques for the food and beverage industry.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of liquor blender. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Filter liquids: Separated solids that will not readily sediment from their suspending liquid by passing the mixture through filters.
- Act reliably: Proceed in a way that one can be relied on or depended on.
- Administer ingredients in food production: ngredients to be added and the required amounts according to the recipe and the way those ingredients are to be administered.
- Liaise with colleagues: Liaise with fellow colleagues to ensure common understanding on work related affairs and agree on the necessary compromises the parties might need to face. Negotiate compromises between parties as to ensure that work in general run efficiently towards the achievement of the objectives.
- Follow hygienic procedures during food processing: Ensure a clean working space according to hygienic standards in the food processing industry.
- Adapt efficient food processing practices: Ensure to adapt the most efficient production techniques to accomplish food processing tasks with the least amount of time, effort and costs.
- Liaise with managers: Liaise with managers of other departments ensuring effective service and communication, i.e. sales, planning, purchasing, trading, distribution and technical.
- Label samples: Label raw material/ product samples for laboratory checks, according to implemented quality system.
ISCO group and title
8160 – Food and related products machine operators
- Liquor blender – ESCO