Pasta makers prepare fresh pasta, fillings, and other types of pasta following specific recipes and processes.
The following job titles also refer to pasta maker:
pasta products maker
pasta goods maker
pasta making operative
No formal educational credential is generally required to work as a pasta maker.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Pasta maker is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Pasta maker career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to pasta maker.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of pasta maker. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of pasta maker with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of pasta maker.
- Monitor flour unloading equipment: Monitor flour unloading equipment and flour processing systems. Ensure ingredients are delivered on time.
- Ensure sanitation: Keep workspaces and equipment free from dirt, infection, and disease by removing waste, trash and providing for appropriate cleaning.
- Monitor machine operations: Observe machine operations and evaluate product quality thereby ensuring conformity to standards.
- Store raw food materials: Keep in reserve raw materials and other food supplies, following stock control procedures.
- Perform detailed food processing operations: Perform precise food processing operations with great attention and detail to all steps in the creation of a qualitative product.
- Apply HACCP: Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Administer ingredients in food production: Ingredients to be added and the required amounts according to the recipe and the way those ingredients are to be administered.
- Monitor operations of cleaning machines: Monitor the operation of cleaning equipment; stop machines or immediately notify supervisors should incidents or malfunctions occur.
- Work according to recipe: Perform tasks in food preparation according to recipe or specification in order to preserve the quality of ingredients and to ensure replication accuracy of the recipe. Select the appropriate materials to follow the recipe, taking into account the current situation.
- Set up machine controls: Set up or adjust machine controls to regulate conditions such as material flow, temperature, or pressure.
- Follow hygienic procedures during food processing: Ensure a clean working space according to hygienic standards in the food processing industry.
- Apply requirements concerning manufacturing of food and beverages: Apply and follow national, international, and internal requirements quoted in standards, regulations and other specifications related with manufacturing of food and beverages.
- Apply GMP: Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Monitor temperature in farinaceous processes: Monitor and control the temperature in the different phases of farinaceous processes such as fermentation, proofing, and baking. Adhere to specifications or recipes.
- Follow production schedule: Follow production schedule taking into account all requirements, times and needs. This schedule outlines what individual commodities must be produced in each time period and encapsulates various concerns like production, staffing, inventory, etc. It is usually linked to manufacturing where the plan indicates when and how much of each product will be demanded. Utilise all the information in the actual implementation of the plan.
- Ensure correct use of bakery equipment: Use the utensils, machinery and equipment for the production of bakery and farinaceous products such as kneading machines, proofing equipment, vessels, knives, baking ovens, slicers, wrappers, mixers, and glazers. Keep all tools in good condition.
- Measure precise food processing operations: Carry out accurately measured assignments with suitable tools and equipment in the process of producing food and beverages.
- Operate weighing machine: Work with a weighing machine to measure raw, half-finished and finished products.
- Operate kneading of food products: Perform all kinds of kneading operations of raw materials, half-finished products and foodstuffs.
- Prepare pasta: Prepare pasta with the adequate ingredients and the adequate equipment as to conform with the recipe, taste, shape, and aspect according to regulations and customers preferences.
- Operate mixing of food products: Perform all kinds of mixing operations of raw materials, half-finished products and foodstuffs.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of pasta maker. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Crafting: The ability to work with the hands in order to create something artistic.
- Food safety principles: Scientific background of food safety which includes preparation, handling, and storage of food to minimise the risk of foodborne illness and other health hazards.
- Milling machines: Milling and mills and their operation in theory and practice.
- Food allergies: The types of food allergies within the sector, which substances trigger allergies, and how they can be replaced or eliminated (if possible).
- Food dehydration processes: The processes by which fruit and vegetables are dehydrated including techniques such as sun drying, indoor drying, and industrial applications for drying food. The dehydration process goes from selection of the fruit and vegetables according to their size, washing the fruit, classifying according to the product, storage, and mixing with ingredients resulting in a final product.
- Processes of foods and beverages manufacturing: Raw materials and production processes for getting finished food products. Importance of quality control and other techniques for the food and beverage industry.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of pasta maker. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Maintain cutting equipment: Maintenance of the cutting equipment (knives, cutters, and other elements).
- Act reliably: Proceed in a way that one can be relied on or depended on.
- Check processing parameters: Check processing parameters to keep under control the technological processes.
- Keep inventory of goods in production: Keep inventory of goods whether they are goods in the front end (i.e. raw materials), intermediate, or back end (i.e. finished products). Count goods and store them for the following production and distribution activities.
- Manage delivery of raw materials: Manage reception of raw materials. Receive raw materials from the suppliers. Check for quality and accuracy and move into the warehouse. Make sure that raw materials are adequately stored until they are required by the production department.
- Apply extruding techniques: Apply specific techniques for extrusion process in the food industry.
- Perform chemical experiments: Perform chemical experiments with the aim of testing various products and substances in order to draw conclusions in terms of product viability and replicability.
- Follow written instructions: Follow written directions in order to perform a task or carry out a step-by-step procedure.
- Execute chilling processes to food products: Carry out chilling, freezing and cooling operation processes to food products such as fruit and vegetables, fish, meat, catering food. Prepare food products for extended periods of storage or half prepared food. Ensure safety and nutrition qualities of frozen goods and preserve products in accordance with specified temperatures.
- Improvise to occurring food processing situations: Adapt a flexible approach to occuring problems in the process of creating food and beverages.
- Liaise with colleagues: Liaise with fellow colleagues to ensure common understanding on work related affairs and agree on the necessary compromises the parties might need to face. Negotiate compromises between parties as to ensure that work in general run efficiently towards the achievement of the objectives.
- Lift heavy weights: Lift heavy weights and apply ergonomic lifting techniques to avoid damaging the body.
- Create new recipes: Combine innovative and creative ideas to come up with new recipes and preparations to extend the product of range of a company. Make modifications to recipes in order to enhance taste, reach productivity goals, develop and improve products.
- Dispose food waste: Dispose or collect food waste with the purpose of recycling or throwing away from the production process. Follow established procedures for their disposal taking care of the environment and the safety matters according to legislations.
- Perform services in a flexible manner: Adapt service approach when circumstances change.
- Liaise with managers: Liaise with managers of other departments ensuring effective service and communication, i.e. sales, planning, purchasing, trading, distribution and technical.
- Exert quality control to processing food: Ensure the quality of all factors involved in a food production process.
- Examine production samples: Examine production samples visually or manually to verify properties such as clarity, cleanliness, consistency, humidity and texture.
- Label samples: Label raw material/ product samples for laboratory checks, according to implemented quality system.
ISCO group and title
7512 – Bakers, pastry-cooks and confectionery makers
- Pasta maker – ESCO
- Featured image: By Mark Wilkie from Breuckelen, New York, unidos estados – pasta maker, CC BY-SA 2.0