Household appliances repair technicians use electrical equipment to test resistance or voltage and to identify appliances’ malfunctions. They repair small and large electrical or gas home appliances such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines, dishwashers, air conditioners and refrigerators.
Household appliances repair technicians typically do the following:
- Install, service and repair various household appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers and air conditioning units
- Swiftly respond to customer calls regarding issues or malfunctions
- Evaluate and troubleshoot problems
- Provide repair options, estimates and timeframes to customers, taking into account any product warranties
- Complete billing and invoicing paperwork
The following job titles also refer to household appliances repair technician:
washing machine servicer
home appliance repairman
window air conditioner repairer
appliance service technician
A high school diploma is generally required to work as a household appliances repair technician. An associate’s degree in electronics or electrical engineering constitutes an asset for career advancement.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Household appliances repair technician is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Household appliances repair technician career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to household appliances repair technician.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of household appliances repair technician. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of household appliances repair technician with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of household appliances repair technician.
- Manufacturer’s instructions for electrical household appliances: The manufacturer’s instructions needed to install household devices such as washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators etc.
- Electrical household appliances products: The offered electrical household appliances products, their functionalities, properties and legal and regulatory requirements.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of household appliances repair technician.
- Create solutions to problems: Solve problems which arise in planning, prioritising, organising, directing/facilitating action and evaluating performance. Use systematic processes of collecting, analysing, and synthesising information to evaluate current practice and generate new understandings about practice.
- Apply company policies: Apply the principles and rules that govern the activities and processes of an organisation.
- Maintain records of maintenance interventions: Keep written records of all repairs and maintenance interventions undertaken, including information on the parts and materials used, etc.
- Install electrical household appliances: Connect electrical equipment, such as dishwashers, ovens and refrigerators, to the electricity network and perform electrical bonding to avoid dangerous potential differences. Test the installation for proper functioning.
- Use diagnostic tools for electronic repairs: Use diagnostic equipment to measure current, resistance and voltage. Handle sophisticated multimeters to measure inductance, capacitance and current transistor gain.
- Maintain equipment: Regularly inspect and perform all required activities to maintain the equipment in functional order prior or after its use.
- Use repair manuals: Apply the information, such as periodic maintenance charts, step by step repair instructions, troubleshooting information and overhaul procedures to perform routine maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain customer service: Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
- Perform maintenance on installed equipment: Perform the maintenance on installed equipment on-site. Follow procedures to avoid uninstalling equipment from machinery or vehicles.
- Replace defect components: Remove defective parts and replace them with functioning components.
- Lift heavy weights: Lift heavy weights and apply ergonomic lifting techniques to avoid damaging the body.
- Provide customer information related to repairs: Inform customers about necessary repairs or replacements, discuss products, services and costs, include accurate technical information.
- Repair household appliances: Following the manufacturer’s blueprints, perform parts replacement or repair of household devices such as stoves, boilers, washing machines, refrigerators and dish washers.
- Provide customer follow-up services: Register, follow-up, solve and respond to customer requests, complaints and after-sales services.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of household appliances repair technician. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Manage schedule of tasks: Maintain an overview of all the incoming tasks in order to prioritise the tasks, plan their execution, and integrate new tasks as they present themselves.
- Order supplies: Command products from relevant suppliers to get convenient and profitable products to purchase.
- Drive vehicles: Be able to drive vehicles; have the appropriate type of driving license according to the type of motor vehicle used.
- Advise customers on electrical household appliances’ installation: Provide customers with detailed advice on the installation, correct use and maintenance of electrical household equipment, such as washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers.
- Manage a small-to-medium business: Manage the organisational, financial and day-to-day operation of a small-to-medium enterprise.
- Maintain relationship with suppliers: Build a lasting and meaningful relationship with suppliers and service providers in order to establish a positive, profitable and enduring collaboration, co-operation and contract negotiation.
- Make independent operating decisions: Make immediate operating decisions as necessary without reference to others, taking into account the circumstances and any relevant procedures and legislation. Determine alone which option is the best for a particular situation.
- Work in shifts: Work in rotating shifts, where the goal is to keep a service or production line running around the clock and each day of the week.
- Ensure compliance with warranty contracts: Implement and monitor repairs and/or replacements by the supplier in compliance with warranty contracts.
- Sell household appliances: Sell household appliances such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines, dishwashers, air conditioners and refrigerators. Provide advice on purchasing decisions and try to meet customers wishes. Process payments.
- Maintain professional administration: File and organise professional administration documents comprehensively, keep customer records, fill in forms or log books and prepare documents about company-related matter.
- Administer appointments: Accept, schedule and cancel appointments.
- Develop professional network: Reach out to and meet up with people in a professional context. Find common ground and use your contacts for mutual benefit. Keep track of the people in your personal professional network and stay up to date on their activities.
- Apply technical communication skills: Explain technical details to non-technical customers, stakeholders, or any other interested parties in a clear and concise manner.
- Negotiate supplier arrangements: Reach an agreement with the supplier upon technical, quantity, quality, price, conditions, storage, packaging, send-back and other requirements related to the purchasing and delivering process.
- Sell service contracts for electrical household appliances: Sell contracts for repair and maintenance services of newly sold electrical devices such as washing machines and refrigerators.
- Prepare warranty documents for electrical household appliances: Compose warranty forms for electrical household equipment sold to customers.
- Explain features of electrical household appliances: Present and explain the characteristics and features of household equipment such as refrigerators, washing machines and vacuum cleaners; explain brand differentiation, performance and durability.
- Communicate by telephone: Liaise via telephone by making and answering calls in a timely, professional and polite manner.
- Issue sales invoices: Prepare the invoice of goods sold or services provided, containing individual prices, the total charge, and the terms. Complete order processing for orders received via telephone, fax and internet and calculate the customer’s final bill.
- Train employees: Lead and guide employees through a process in which they are taught the necessary skills for the perspective job. Organise activities aimed at introducing the work and systems or improving the performance of individuals and groups in organisational settings.
- Perform services in a flexible manner: Adapt service approach when circumstances change.
- Keep stock records: Keep written records of the amount of stock in storage, incoming and outgoing products required for the proper operation of services, repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Report to the team leader: Keep the team leader informed on current and emerging issues.
ISCO group and title
7412 – Electrical mechanics and fitters
- Household appliances repair technician – ESCO
- Featured image: By Silwimba Felix – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0