Tanning consultants assist clients with their tanning needs. They offer advice on purchases and treatments in solariums and tanning salons.
The following job titles also refer to tanning consultant:
sun parlor worker
sun parlor attendant
tanning salon operator
tanning salon manager
sun parlour attendant
tanning salon worker
tanning salon attendant
A high school diploma or equivalent is generally the minimum required to work as a tanning consultant.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Tanning consultant is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Tanning consultant career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to tanning consultant.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of tanning consultant. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of tanning consultant with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of tanning consultant.
- Customer service: Processes and principles related to the customer, client, service user and to personal services; these may include procedures to evaluate customer’s or service user’s satisfaction.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of tanning consultant.
- Apply company policies: Apply the principles and rules that govern the activities and processes of an organisation.
- Ensure sanitation: Keep workspaces and equipment free from dirt, infection, and disease by removing waste, trash and providing for appropriate cleaning.
- Maintain personal hygiene standards: Preserve impeccable personal hygiene standards and have a tidy appearance.
- Maintain equipment: Regularly inspect and perform all required activities to maintain the equipment in functional order prior or after its use.
- Advise on tanning treatments: Offer advice to customers on products such as lotions, tanning techniques and protectice eyewear.
- Identify customer’s needs: Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Maintain customer service: Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
Optional knowledge and skills
This knowledge is sometimes, but not always, required for the role of tanning consultant. However, mastering this knowledge allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Cosmetics ingredients: A variety of sources cosmetics are composed of ranging from crushed insects to rust.
- Cosmetics: The various types of substances used to enhance the appearance of the human body.
- Skin types: The different skin types, such as dry, normal, oily, and sensitive.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of tanning consultant. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Manage schedule of tasks: Maintain an overview of all the incoming tasks in order to prioritise the tasks, plan their execution, and integrate new tasks as they present themselves.
- Order supplies: Command products from relevant suppliers to get convenient and profitable products to purchase.
- Handle customer complaints: Administer complaints and negative feedback from customers in order to address concerns and where applicable provide a quick service recovery.
- Offer free samples of cosmetics: Distribute to the public samples of various cosmetic products you are promoting so that prospective clients can test them and then buy them.
- Offer cosmetic beauty advice: Provide customers with advice and beauty tips for creating a new look.
- Monitor stock level: Evaluate how much stock is used and determine what should be ordered.
- Handle chemical cleaning agents: Ensure proper handling, storage and disposal of cleaning chemicals in accordance with regulations.
- Dispose waste: Dispose waste in accordance with legislation, thereby respecting environmental and company responsibilities.
- Sell cosmetics: Sell a variety of cosmetic products such as lotions, soaps, lip sticks, hair removers, perfumes, tooth pastes, face masks, nail polisher and deodorants.
- Administer appointments: Accept, schedule and cancel appointments.
- Recommend cosmetics to customers: Recommend and provide advice on cosmetic products based on the customer’s personal preferences and needs and on the different product types and brands available.
- Manage cleaning activities: Oversee cleaning activities undertaken by employees.
- Administer spray tans: Spray clients with tanning airbrushes or airguns. Take care to blend in the sprayed areas and offer tips and recommendations for long-lasting tans.
- Process payments: Accept payments such as cash, credit cards and debit cards. Handle reimbursement in case of returns or administer vouchers and marketing instruments such as bonus cards or membership cards. Pay attention to safety and the protection of personal data.
- Determine skin type: Determine what type of skin a person has in order to use the right make-up for that particular skin type.
- Issue sales invoices: Prepare the invoice of goods sold or services provided, containing individual prices, the total charge, and the terms. Complete order processing for orders received via telephone, fax and internet and calculate the customer’s final bill.
- Manage indoor tanning sessions: Determine the customer’s skin type, advise on the type of sunbed, adjust the tanning time and inform on the health risk and safety measures.
ISCO group and title
5142 – Beauticians and related workers
- Tanning consultant – ESCO