Beauty salon attendants schedule clients’ appointments, greet clients on the premises, give detailed information on the salon’s services and treatments and gather clients’ complaints. They clean the salon regularly and ensure all products are in stock and well deposited. Beauty salon attendants take payments from clients and may sell various beauty products.
The following job titles also refer to beauty salon attendant:
sun parlour attendant
suntan salon worker
tanning salon attendant
sun parlor attendant
beauty salon worker
suntan salon attendant
sun parlor worker
A high school diploma or equivalent is generally required to work as a beauty salon attendant.
ISCO skill level
ISCO skill level is defined as a function of the complexity and range of tasks and duties to be performed in an occupation. It is measured on a scale from 1 to 4, with 1 the lowest level and 4 the highest, by considering:
- the nature of the work performed in an occupation in relation to the characteristic tasks and duties
- the level of formal education required for competent performance of the tasks and duties involved and
- the amount of informal on-the-job training and/or previous experience in a related occupation required for competent performance of these tasks and duties.
Beauty salon attendant is a Skill level 2 occupation.
Beauty salon attendant career path
These occupations, although different, require a lot of knowledge and skills similar to beauty salon attendant.
Long term prospects
These occupations require some skills and knowledge of beauty salon attendant. They also require other skills and knowledge, but at a higher ISCO skill level, meaning these occupations are accessible from a position of beauty salon attendant with a significant experience and/or extensive training.
Essential knowledge and skills
This knowledge should be acquired through learning to fulfill the role of beauty salon attendant.
- Cosmetics: The various types of substances used to enhance the appearance of the human body.
- Quality standards: The national and international requirements, specifications and guidelines to ensure that products, services and processes are of good quality and fit for purpose.
Essential skills and competences
These skills are necessary for the role of beauty salon attendant.
- Apply company policies: Apply the principles and rules that govern the activities and processes of an organisation.
- Ensure sanitation: Keep workspaces and equipment free from dirt, infection, and disease by removing waste, trash and providing for appropriate cleaning.
- Maintain personal hygiene standards: Preserve impeccable personal hygiene standards and have a tidy appearance.
- Maintain relationship with customers: Build a lasting and meaningful relationship with customers in order to ensure satisfaction and fidelity by providing accurate and friendly advice and support, by delivering quality products and services and by supplying after-sales information and service.
- Greet guests: Welcome guests in a friendly manner in a certain place.
- Handle customer complaints: Administer complaints and negative feedback from customers in order to address concerns and where applicable provide a quick service recovery.
- Monitor stock level: Evaluate how much stock is used and determine what should be ordered.
- Maintain work area cleanliness: Keep the working area and equipment clean and orderly.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the toilet facilities: Clean the toilets and wipe the sinks, mirrors and cubicle furniture according to the required standards, providing special attention to details.
- Maintain customer service: Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
- Administer appointments: Accept, schedule and cancel appointments.
- Clean building floors: Clean the floors and stairways of buildings by sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping them, according to hygienic and organisational standards.
- Restock toilet facilities’ supplies: Make sure that toilet supplies such as soap and toilet paper are always available for customer use.
- Process payments: Accept payments such as cash, credit cards and debit cards. Handle reimbursement in case of returns or administer vouchers and marketing instruments such as bonus cards or membership cards. Pay attention to safety and the protection of personal data.
Optional skills and competences
These skills and competences are sometimes, but not always, required for the role of beauty salon attendant. However, mastering these skills and competences allows you to have more opportunities for career development.
- Assist guest departure: Aid guests during their departure, receive feedback on satisfaction and invite guests to come back once more.
- Manage schedule of tasks: Maintain an overview of all the incoming tasks in order to prioritise the tasks, plan their execution, and integrate new tasks as they present themselves.
- Implement marketing strategies: Implement strategies which aim to promote a specific product or service, using the developed marketing strategies.
- Order supplies: Command products from relevant suppliers to get convenient and profitable products to purchase.
- Offer free samples of cosmetics: Distribute to the public samples of various cosmetic products you are promoting so that prospective clients can test them and then buy them.
- Allocate locker space: Provide clients with locker rooms and locker keys to secure their belongings in the facility, keeping track of the available space left.
- Collect items for laundry service: Collect the dirty pieces of clothing or other linen within the facility and send it to the laundry service.
- Advise customers on usage of cosmetics: Provide advice to customers on how to apply various cosmetic products such as lotions, powders, nail polish or creams.
- Sell cosmetics: Sell a variety of cosmetic products such as lotions, soaps, lip sticks, hair removers, perfumes, tooth pastes, face masks, nail polisher and deodorants.
- Maintain professional administration: File and organise professional administration documents comprehensively, keep customer records, fill in forms or log books and prepare documents about company-related matter.
- Recommend cosmetics to customers: Recommend and provide advice on cosmetic products based on the customer’s personal preferences and needs and on the different product types and brands available.
- Manage cleaning activities: Oversee cleaning activities undertaken by employees.
- Manage emergency evacuation plans: Monitor quick and safe emergency evacuation plans.
- Communicate by telephone: Liaise via telephone by making and answering calls in a timely, professional and polite manner.
- Issue sales invoices: Prepare the invoice of goods sold or services provided, containing individual prices, the total charge, and the terms. Complete order processing for orders received via telephone, fax and internet and calculate the customer’s final bill.
- Keep stock records: Keep written records of the amount of stock in storage, incoming and outgoing products required for the proper operation of services, repairs and maintenance tasks.
ISCO group and title
5142 – Beauticians and related workers
- Beauty salon attendant – ESCO